A new idea: UBM online

Boxing management simulation game
jack1974
Pack leader

A new idea: UBM online

Post by jack1974 »

I'm experimenting with flash and webgames recently, and an idea hit my mind... making a online version of UBM! 8)
It would be necessarily smaller than the downloadable ones, but would have the difference of doing online fights, with history, etc. Would be fun to play to show the world who is the best manager.

However there's a major problem: how to do the fights? they can't be in real-time, because would mean that both players should be online at the very same time, quite hard. This would also penalize players who are online all the time, while others that have to work couldn't do that.

I had the idea of allowing max 1 fight per day or so per each boxer.

Then again, this would mean no possibility to change the strategy during the fight, and I'm sure many people wouldn't like that.
I guess I could do a thing like one round of each fight lasts for 1 day or every 4-5h ... this way player could change the strategy in that interval. The fights would lasts more (think 12 round for 4-5h each round!) but you could change strategy.

Let me know what you think of this idea :)
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Well... I'm not convinced yet despite my love for the game. If someone had something come up it would either have to sim on them or the fight would have to stop, both options don't sound very good.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

And if the fight was all automated? would suck too much?
I don't know, I like the idea of fighting vs other human managers, but at same time I don't know how I could make it. Or I would have to give up and just do real-time fights, so people that play more would be the ones that have better boxers for sure (like what happens in most MMOG).
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

I'm going to go with Ken Goding about my reluctance for my idea. I'd rather have arm length, reach, and fighting styles in the game than being able to play online. Online high scores yes but game balance would have to be adjusted.

You could use my Ultimate Boxing Match-3 idea for the fighting style. I had more ideas than in my post.

And there's already good online boxing games.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ok, I'll keep updating the offline game then 8) after all, making an online game isn't so easy.
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

I had an epiphany, you could an online version of the idea I posted for Ultimate Boxer in the misc forum(a match-3 puzzle game that incorporated three minute rounds and lots of boxing terminology and boxing elements).

Players could face each other ala super puzzle fighter. What you do on your game board affects what happens to the other player on his board. Like if you match five punch icons the opponent gets knocked out for eight seconds and can't do anything on his board.

As for the match problem players could fight anybody they wanted, but they would only be considered sparring matches. Only players of certain rank would be considered official matches.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes it is a good idea, the only thing I'm not sure is mixing match3 with a boxing simulation. I mean, as casual game would be fine. But as a fan of management/simulation games, I'm not sure I would like it.
Of course the online version could be just a different game, and would call it "Online Match3 Boxing" :lol: