Stuff I've seen recently

Boxing management simulation game
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha don't know, is strange indeed. Maybe it was an Ultimate Fighter match? :lol:
Random1
Young scout

Post by Random1 »

That's not what I wanna hear from the programmer! :lol: I'm assuming that my throwing in the towel to prevent injury does have something behind it... if my guy took a huge beating his stats would go down?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Heh yes, if you get beated your boxer stats go down, by a random amount but proportional to the beating you got. Sorry but from your previous post I didn't understand clearly if was your boxer, or the opponent one that was beaten and didn't throw the towel?
Random1
Young scout

Post by Random1 »

Would one of my boxers ever take a beating? :P I've never seen an opponent give up, there have been several times that if it was my boxer I would have thrown in the towel by round 8.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm maybe need to make the opponent managers a bit more sensible vs their boxers!

p.s. sorry for the silly question, was obvious that none of your boxers couldn't get a beating!! :lol:
Random1
Young scout

Post by Random1 »

Okay... maybe you fixed this already but I don't believe so. In my career that I've been doing for a good while the talent pool has just dried up. I have about two and a half pages of boxers between 16 and 18 that are free agents, and not one of them has a good upside. In my career that I've only started (the one I used the for manual, I gotta update!) I have 15 pages of free agents between 16 and 18 with lots of talent in there (course an unknown reputation won't help me sign 'em). Makes it tough for a wiley veteran like me to find the next hot prospect unless I wanna steal from another manager - not that I'm above that.

I'm not sure how you handle retirements and new generations, or how often opposing mangers get to sign people...but that'll probably need some looking at.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm did you start a new game after ending the previous one, without quitting to desktop (quitting the game completely) ? if this problems happens only in this case , I think I know what's wrong.
I mean, if you quit and start a new game and you can find young promising talent, then the problem is starting a new one without quitting the game completely.
Random1
Young scout

Post by Random1 »

My problem is that the talent is gone in a game where I've been a manager for like 15 years... boxers aren't regenerating very much so there's only a few free agents anymore and they're junky. I was using my second game as a reference... it's early in the game and there's a ton of talent around.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah ok, so happens in the same game after a lot of time (15 years) you're playing... well the regeneration isn't so fast indeed, but since you can manage up to 6 boxers at once, thought would be enough.
I presume you're firing your old boxers if aren't good enough, and hire new (better) ones?
Random1
Young scout

Post by Random1 »

Yeah... I usually keep my guys until they retire or lose so much talent that they can't maintain championships and then I look for new talent. I'm not quite to that point (32 years old is my oldest boxer, I'm 34 in the game) but I figured I'd do some scouting, and found that there's just no talent left in the young guys.

I checked the two careers to see what was happening. Both careers have 125 pages of boxers and 40 pages of free boxers, so technically regeneration is working fine and my opposing mangers aren't managing any more boxers than they were at the beginning of my career.

There is actually lots of young talent - each career has 16 pages of boxers 16-18 years old, so it's actually not regeneration that's the problem. The problem is that 13 pages of them are signed by other managers, leaving me with very little free agents to work with in my old career, vs. only one page signed by others in my new career, giving me 15 pages to choose from.

So my opposing mangers are doing exactly what I'd do - drop older boxers with less upside and sign the young talent that has lots of potential. Problem is that they've now signed everybody worth signing and I'm left with basically nothing that's really worth my time and money to train and try to get to championship status. Hum... so in some ways it's realistic because my opponents are smart too, but...but... I don't want to HAVE to steal from another manager to get my next champion. Plus these guys have the tendency to be high in the rankings already, rather than in the bottom 10 and needing to fight their way to the top.

Ultimately I guess we would need for every new boxer 16-18 to be automatically in the bottom 10-15 of the rankings so they'd have to fight their way up, and we'd need to force the other managers to sign guys who are older to keep the balance reasonable for everyone.

Hope that all made sense. :)