Stuff I've seen recently

Boxing management simulation game
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Stuff I've seen recently

Post by Ken_Goding »

Been too quiet here so I'll make a little noise. Started playing again a few days ago and there's just a couple minor things I've seen. The big one is the top 10 rankings. I got a guy up to the championship and started defending against all comers. For several defenses it was really good because different challengers were floating up to the top, but now it's stableized and it's the same guys all the time, no changes, no new faces for me to defend against. I understand this happens to a point in boxing politics - a guy can lose and still get a title shot pretty easily if he's got name recognition, but we gotta find a way to shake it up a bit because it'll get old pretty soon. He's only like 25 and fighting the same fighters for the next 8 years doesn't sound like a good time to me.

Another thing isn't really a bug but something I saw. If I click with the mouse and hold it down, I cannot move the mouse even if I realize I clicked on the wrong button. I now must finish clicking it and whatever I started is going to be finished. Is there a way to make the mouse movable if you messed up, or to hit a key to cancel the action?

There hasn't been a whole lot of fresh young talent out there. It could just be the game I started, but it doesn't seem to be generating very many 16-18 year olds that are looking for a future and need a talented manager such as myself to bring them there.

:)
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

The scoring needs just a little more refinement. As a general rule it tends to go according to the number of punches landed, with a smaller emphasis on punches thrown. It seems to disregard how damaging the punches were, however. If each guy lands 8 punches but one does 150 damage to the other guy's 80, the round is most often scored 10-10 even though one man took a severe beating. So that needs to figure in a little bit, although I'm a little scared that the delicate balance may be disrupted, because overall the scoring is pretty accurate over the duration of the fight.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the suggestions, once again :)
I'm currently still in process of relocating so can't access internet daily but I appreciate your posts - hopefully I'll be able to make a new UBM update next month (because this month probably will be completely busy with the move).
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Okay okay we can wait lol. Here's my thought process on fixing the scoring. We have too many 10-8 rounds in which there are no knockdowns, and too many 10-10 rounds, although they do even out. My thought is that if one guy dishes out 100 damage or more (doesn't happen too often) and his opponent less than 50 (or a 50+ difference, like 124-62), he gets the round 10-8 as complete and utter domination. If this happens two rounds out of three, the ref should stop it and declare a TKO to save the loser further punishment. If one guy dishes out 25 or more damage in the round than his opponent, he automatically gets the round 10-9. Less than 25 damage difference starts looking more at the factors we have now. Who threw more punches? Who landed more punches even if they weren't damaging? If it's in all ways equal then they can get 10-10. If there was no action at all (like 5 punches thrown or less from each guy), they can get graded down for being boring, 9-9.

But we should have just a little bit of a randomizer in there to keep the judging "human", since judges in real life don't always score the way we like. But it can't be a whole lot or we'll go on strike because of corruption. :lol:

Knockdowns of course always take precedence, so that should stay pretty much the same. A knockdown means 10-8 round. However I have read that if a boxer suffers a flash knockdown but isn't actually hurt (happens to my guys here and there) and dominates the rest of the round, it could actually be scored 9-8, although he still gets the 8 for being knocked down.

We've gotta sometime get a way for throwing in the towel. There have been times when my guys administered beatings that made me feel sorry for my opponents, like in real life it would ruin their career (might be a neat feature). We should be able to hit a button to throw in the towel, and the opposition would need to have a carefully weighed formula do decide if he's getting hurt too much and stop the fight. A neat thing too would be for guys to be able to "quit on their stool" and refuse to go out for the next round. The catch is that your own fighter could do that too if he's in too much pain. But again that would have to be carefully done, only in extreme situations where a lot of damage has been dealt either way. The guy's tenacity could also figure in, if he's more likely to want to quit or go through pain for the possible victory - but maybe at some skills cost because it took so much out of him. Okay I'm rambling.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm making a good update, with a completely redesigned right-panel in the fight screen with more info... including total damage done, etc and a button to Throw the Towel :)
Unfortunately my connection still is problematic so don't know when I'll be able to upload a beta! :( damn ISP...
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

I love the bouncing emoticon, imagine it here because I'm too lazy to find it and link to it. :D
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ok so I got a confirmation that my ISP will connect me on 7th january... I guess that will be the day of new UBM beta... maybe I'll be able to upload it sooner from some wifi - free internet point but I doubt it :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm glad to let you know that I finally uploaded the beta :)
Download URLs:

http://www.didone.com/games/UBMTrial.exe
http://www.didone.com/games/ubmdemo.zip

let me know what you think - personally I believe the new stats rules, but of course I'm not really impartial... 8)
Ken_Goding
Young scout

Post by Ken_Goding »

Edited so no one gets piracy ideas.
Last edited by Ken_Goding on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnockOut
Young scout

Post by KnockOut »

Wow the patch was awesome :o

Throwing in the towel button is the perfect start to getting to shout more instructions during the match.

Throw more punches!
Run Away!
Go Crazy!
Don't throw so many punches!

And I'd like an excitement rating for how exciting the match was. A fight with little punches and a lot of clinching would get a low excitement rating and would result in less sponsorship offers and less title shots. A fight with many punches and many landed punches, knockdowns and cuts would get a high excitement rating would result in a lot of sponsor offers and would allow your fighter to fight higher above his rank than he normally would.

So excitement would create a risk v reward choice of do I have my fighters be exciting or play it safe and win the fight?