Boxing manager varients?

Boxing management simulation game
wolfdaddy2002
Young scout

Boxing manager varients?

Post by wolfdaddy2002 »

All right, this might not be the right spot for it, if not I aplogize.
Personally i'm not a big boxing fan. But two thoughts did occur to me when i looked at Boxing manager.
1. Gladiator Manager. You could use the same engine as Boxing Manager, just make it gladiatiors. I know that in many ways you'd be rewriting huge sections of the code to account for weaopns etc. But it's just a thought.
2. Martial arts Manager. Create a school, select techniques for people to learn, train your star students, fight in tournaments. Again i understand you'd be re-writing huge sections of code, but it's just a thought.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Boxing manager varients?

Post by jack1974 »

Hello,
those are actually good ideas. I had thought about the martial arts before, with a real fighting action, Street Fighter style 8) even if probably too hard for me to program.
However is not a bad idea, the problem I think is the fight itself, don't know if would be cool to watch like UBM is (apparently hehe).
For the gladiator there could be a combat system (with weapons, and special attacks) and you could fight with team vs team, making it a cool idea indeed. Yes, definitely will take it into consideration for future games :mrgreen:
iulius
Young scout

Post by iulius »

Make the gladiators one. There are a few gladiators sims around, but none is really interesting. Looking at your past games I have no doubts you could make an interesting game... :twisted:
wolfdaddy2002
Young scout

Post by wolfdaddy2002 »

I have to agree, make the gladiator one first. A decent martial arts game would require a LOT more detail than a gladiator one. As was pointed out, there aren't that many good gladiator games out there. Especially ones that JUST concentrate on the gladiator aspect. Perhaps something that would allow you to buy things for the school and improve all the gladiators in your stable?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm true, that's really not a bad idea, will seriously think about it...! thanks for suggesting.
iulius
Young scout

Post by iulius »

Now Random1 will be pissed because we hijacked his UBM forums and almost managed to convince jack to work on another game rather than on UBM2 :twisted:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha well I can build a new "engine" and use it both for UBM2 and for this gladiator game.
Right now though I'm officially still on "holidays"... :mrgreen:
Random1
Young scout

Post by Random1 »

mutter mutter rant rave hiss boo. :lol:
wolfdaddy2002
Young scout

Post by wolfdaddy2002 »

Well here's a thought. Just while you're on holidays. I do this when I'm taking a break from writing, take a notebook and slam down all the random ideas. You don't have to actually work on the code, just let the ideas ferment. Use this engine for UBM2 and a gladiator game. Then when you think you're ready, talk about the martial arts one. You might want to look at some of the free download online games that feature martial arts. (World of Kung fu, 12 sky, 9 dragons, conquest) Currently they're ok. Not great, just ok. I could go into a page long rant on why they're only ok. If you look at the gladiator games out there, the pickings are even slimer. Honestly i would rather see you work on a good gladiatior game and THEN go onto a martial arts game, then see you create ANOTHER ok martial arts game. Hope that made sense.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes definitely. Actually was fun because BEFORE reading your post, I updated my blog with this entry:
blog/2008/05/24/future-titles-of-winter ... oon-games/

in practice was thinking the same as you suggested: doing first an "engine" that I can use both for UBM2 and the gladiator game, and then later the martial arts one.
I'll try downloading one of the games you suggested now, to see why they're just ok and not great. hopefully will be able to understand it :lol: