Vampires discussions!

Forum for the Loren Amazon Princess spin-off games
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: Loren 2 romances

Post by Miakoda »

It may also just be shorthand. I mean, when movies are talked about, the term CGI stands for Computer Generated Imagery. Drop the 'I' and you are left with CG.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

DarkWolf wrote:Does being on the food chain above humans makes them bad? Sure humans probably wouldn't like them very much but if you can look at things from more objective prospective it hardly matters what one race subjectively thinks about other.
It's simple to look at things objectively in a free information society with good protection from most dangers. Living in a world where the creature next door might enslave you, or drain you, your family and friends of their blood probably doesn't lend much in the way of objectivity. Loking back at human history, if there's something more dangerous than humans, we find some way to gain an advantage. An intelligent predator with much lower numbers would have to hide, and if found would have to relocate or expect a shortened life span.

You, as the player, can of course take a romantic, or if you prefer, an enlightened view, but I find it hard to see how the characters living in Aravorn would do the same.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Franka wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:Does being on the food chain above humans makes them bad? Sure humans probably wouldn't like them very much but if you can look at things from more objective prospective it hardly matters what one race subjectively thinks about other.
It's simple to look at things objectively in a free information society with good protection from most dangers. Living in a world where the creature next door might enslave you, or drain you, your family and friends of their blood probably doesn't lend much in the way of objectivity. Loking back at human history, if there's something more dangerous than humans, we find some way to gain an advantage. An intelligent predator with much lower numbers would have to hide, and if found would have to relocate or expect a shortened life span.

You, as the player, can of course take a romantic, or if you prefer, an enlightened view, but I find it hard to see how the characters living in Aravorn would do the same.
True, most people of today's societies care for their sense of good and bad only when they live in safety and when standing for things they claim to stand for doesn't come with any risk. This is because people have got used to life in safety and become cowards that value safety over honor and their sense of good and bad and things they stand for. This is why I said if you can look from more objective prospective and sadly many people can't, especially when their lifes are in danger, that doesn't mean that none can't.
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

I have to admit, I also hate the good races versus evil races. Especially since most of the tropes were created in a different time and still have a lot of the attitudes about race from days long ago. Also it implies being good or bad isn't a choice and that introduces other complications and moral dilemmas. That said, any sentient being that eats other sentient beings also faces a moral dilemma. Why not eat something else? or choose not to harm others despite their own health? If they choose to do so anyway (as they most likely would and should) Then there should be no blame on people who hurt them to survive as well. You can't fault one species for self preservation while giving a by to another.
MissMemorielle
Young scout

Post by MissMemorielle »

Man... The girls I want to romance are the straight ones. /sweat.
No, but Breza's not really my type and even though I enjoyed Karen's romance, I still... /gazes longingly on Myrth.
I want to switch Myrth and Lydia for Karen and Breza tbh haha oh man. I love Chambara though and I'm feeling Selith a LOT.
AND excited for Samaras he looks so pretty! And Nook...

Man I'm pretty vain. It all depends on personality as well of course.
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

I am actually really happy with Breza, but really on the fence with Jul. It could be amazing or strange depending on how much Jul gets a heel/face turn. I would be most happy if she is played straight evil and you can be too, but that sounds hard narratively, so am just waiting to see what will happen before deciding. Glad I will get Loren/Karen/ and Chambara again though.
Kharlene
Young scout

Post by Kharlene »

DarkWolf wrote: Does being on the food chain above humans makes them bad? Sure humans probably wouldn't like them very much but if you can look at things from more objective prospective it hardly matters what one race subjectively thinks about other. As I see it if humans tried to root out vampires just because vampires are superior to them and humans fear them then humans are bad ones.

Sure since it is a fiction writer can even write a story about a war in witch one nation is completely good and other is completely evil but that story wouldn't be very realistic and I would say also isn't very well thought.
How do you view animals that you eat, or the produce (if you personally don't eat meat) that gives you nutrients? You may "respect" it, you may even be "kindly" to it, but in the end, you still wind up killing it, chopping it up (in some cases while its still alive), and devouring it. Sure, mass-production farms and factories may do all of that for you, which in turn removes you entirely from the process. So in a way, you may feel nothing for the life that's being killed for you. But you may feel something, perhaps pity for the creatures or produce being killed for you. But how much comfort does that give those lives being killed--many cases quite painfully so? And now you see things through a vampires eyes, how one would view humans in which they feed and often will kill. Sure, one may pity or even be kindly to mankind, but at the end of the day, just like you when biting into and enjoying that ham/veggieburger, so will they when biting into your flesh. And that in a nutshell is a vampire, stripping away all the philosophical b.s. or politics of "They could just be misunderstood!".

It doesn't matter how you may try to justify why they do what they do, regardless there is a reason why in every folklore they've fallen under either being undead--or demonically cursed undead monster of the night that no human is safe with, even when not to be used as a meal, in fact, many of those tales the human winds up with a fate worse than death--enslavement and eternal damnation. Nice.,. But, yeah, vampires--otherwise great folks just totally misunderstood.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Kharlene wrote:
DarkWolf wrote: Does being on the food chain above humans makes them bad? Sure humans probably wouldn't like them very much but if you can look at things from more objective prospective it hardly matters what one race subjectively thinks about other. As I see it if humans tried to root out vampires just because vampires are superior to them and humans fear them then humans are bad ones.

Sure since it is a fiction writer can even write a story about a war in witch one nation is completely good and other is completely evil but that story wouldn't be very realistic and I would say also isn't very well thought.
How do you view animals that you eat, or the produce (if you personally don't eat meat) that gives you nutrients? You may "respect" it, you may even be "kindly" to it, but in the end, you still wind up killing it, chopping it up (in some cases while its still alive), and devouring it. Sure, mass-production farms and factories may do all of that for you, which in turn removes you entirely from the process. So in a way, you may feel nothing for the life that's being killed for you. But you may feel something, perhaps pity for the creatures or produce being killed for you. But how much comfort does that give those lives being killed--many cases quite painfully so? And now you see things through a vampires eyes, how one would view humans in which they feed and often will kill. Sure, one may pity or even be kindly to mankind, but at the end of the day, just like you when biting into and enjoying that ham/veggieburger, so will they when biting into your flesh. And that in a nutshell is a vampire, stripping away all the philosophical b.s. or politics of "They could just be misunderstood!".

It doesn't matter how you may try to justify why they do what they do, regardless there is a reason why in every folklore they've fallen under either being undead--or demonically cursed undead monster of the night that no human is safe with, even when not to be used as a meal, in fact, many of those tales the human winds up with a fate worse than death--enslavement and eternal damnation. Nice.,. But, yeah, vampires--otherwise great folks just totally misunderstood.
Does killing humans automatically make you bad? Sure they do kill and eat humans but they are not beasts they have intelligence and can choose who to kill and who not to kill, if they choose to kill and feed only on their enemies and not on innocent then they are not doing anything wrong, in fact if they ware to choose to only feed and kill on criminals and on their enemies then they would even be beneficial to society, and let's not forget that they don't necessarily have to kill people they feed on to begin with.

I think that "vampires are all bad" thing comes from "Killing anyone is bad" hypocrisy and people's unability to look at things more objectively and therefore come to ridicules conclusion that if something is harmful to humans it must be bad as well as people extreme fear of anything that is more powerful then them and could be harmful to them.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

DarkWolf wrote:Does killing humans automatically make you bad?
It's certainly bad for the humans whom you kill, as well as their children who are now without parents, or their parents who are now without children.
Sure they do kill and eat humans but they are not beasts they have intelligence and can choose who to kill and who not to kill,
Sometimes, but not always. If they haven't eaten in awhile or they've been seriously injured the hunger can be overpowering.
if they choose to kill and feed only on their enemies and not on innocent then they are not doing anything wrong,
That assumes they always have a larder full of real enemies to drain which is extremely improbable. If they run out of enemies then they will drain the juice boxes that are available, enemy or not.
in fact if they ware to choose to only feed and kill on criminals and on their enemies then they would even be beneficial to society, and let's not forget that they don't necessarily have to kill people they feed on to begin with.
And who determines whether someone is a criminal? The Vampire? Or a human Judge? And what if it turns out later that the wrong person was blamed or convicted and drained to death? Oops! Never mind the fact that this creates an incentive for a Vampire judge to find sufficient people guilty regardless of innocence just to ensure that he and the other vampires in town always have a meal. And even for a human judge there is a public safety incentive to convict sufficient people to ensure the vampires' don't start grabbing people off the streets to drain...
I think that "vampires are all bad" thing comes from "Killing anyone is bad" hypocrisy and people's unability to look at things more objectively and therefore come to ridicules conclusion that if something is harmful to humans it must be bad as well as people extreme fear of anything that is more powerful then them and could be harmful to them.
The "vampires are all bad" comes from humans being THE prey animal for vampires, and thus vampires looking at humans much the way humans look at a juicy burger. It has little to do with hypocrisy and everything to do with humans not wanting their spouses and children being drained dry by the vampires next door the next time they're hungry. I realize there is a modern trend to make vampires just another misunderstood minority who are just like normal humans except with cool super powers, and that some such as yourself subscribe to this revisionism, but those aren't really vampires IMHO, they're just misunderstood humans with a sun allergy and some cool powers.

That said, I absolutely adore Valery, and I find her combination of beauty, playfulness, and predatory nature compelling, much the way I do a wild tigress. There is a part of me that would love to embrace Valery just as I would a wild tigress, but the wiser part of my brain cautions me that doing so would probably be fatal in both cases. This is a game however, so I don't mind indulging in foolish impulses like that, but I don't expect them to end well at all. I expect my character to be very lucky if he survives such a flirtation with death.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

As I've always seen it (and forgive me if this has already been said; I can't Remember), there is also the following factor:

What business did the Amazons have being there in the first place? The Vampires posed no threat to the Amazons or their Citadel, and their home was said in the game to be a most unholy place: crops wouldn't grow there and no Good beast would dare tread on its grounds.

Zachary's capture and holding of them could be seen as excessive, but objectively could also be seen as a way of ensuring they didn't invade the one place in Aravorn where he and Valery could be able to (for lack of better term) "live", since they were both for all intents and purposes confined there from what the context clues in the game seemed to say.