poll about replacing art/artists in games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum

what would you be more willing to accept?

You may select 1 option

View results

jack1974
Pack leader

poll about replacing art/artists in games

Post by jack1974 »

This is NOT related to any game currently in the works, but since it's something that can happen, I am curious.
The question is simple: a game is 70-80% done. Or maybe, it's already all done and I want to add bonus art. A bit like what happened with Cursed Lands or Amber's Magic Shop.
However for ANY reason, the original artist is busy or can't finish the art before a LONG time (like, even 1-2 years)*. I always assumed that the best solution was to try finding a new replacement artist with similar style, or even different style if it's for romance CGs.
But maybe I am wrong? is more important that the art style is consistent?
For me there are no doubts that's the second solution is the best, but maybe I'm missing something?

* in the two mentioned games above, there was no other choice since that artist is gone permanently, I was just using them as example for a game with most art done by one person, and a few remaining art done by another person.
fleetp
Druid

Re: poll about replacing art/artists in games

Post by fleetp »

I answered 'other'. I prefer that the artwork be consistent, but am willing to accept slightly different art for CGs.
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Other:
Things like characters art I think should really be done all by the same artist or it can look weird and very non professional (Unless you have artists that have so similar style that it is unnoticeable) but I think it is ok to have a different artist do CGs, Bonus Art and BGs, especially the latter two, while CGs I think should preferably be done by the same artists so I would say depends how much longer we are talking about.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

For Cursed Lands and Amber I managed to find a rather similar artist, at least for females (Lynn's mother for example). It is noticeable but not too much, I guess depends how much people are nitpicking :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Get a new artist, get more games done. Preferably not an artist who clashes completely with the original style (Spirited Hearts otome + yuri comes to mind, ugh...), but better to get things done.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha yes that game has the most different art styles! Yet not many people complained about it. At least that I know of. But personally I find it very jarring myself as well. In CL for example there are 3 artists actually, the original one, the one who did the customizable portraits (same artist of PSCD manga) and another one who did the bonus CGs. You CAN notice the difference, but it's not so much like in Spirited Heart otome/yuri for sure.
felyarpg
Young scout

Post by felyarpg »

I've voted for waiting less and find a new artist, but I think that having different artists working on different things would be more productive than having one artist doing it all.
Having one artist doing all CGs, for example, while another do all the sprites, and another the backgrounds or the monsters, for example, can help giving a sense of continuity even if the styles are different.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I was referring only to characters and CG. Backgrounds are almost always done by another artist since the skills involved are different. There are a few who can do well both characters and BG (Rebecca comes to mind) but it's not a good idea to do this :)
Rebly82
Woods ranger

Post by Rebly82 »

My choice was "Other"!

Like everyone else, I would be perfectly content with any replacement artist as long as their work is as good (or even better!) than the previous one. I mean, who wouldn't be happy? We get our games faster (with the same goodness), and it's logical not to waste time. :lol:

But, if the artist's work is of a much lower quality, then I'd rather wait as long as it's an acceptable time frame. Why get a worse product (which reduces value), when it's possible to get a better one? Characters and CGs are important, with romance CGs the most highly anticipated. 8)

I know backgrounds are by and large done by different artists. It's the normal rules of the trade, and Jack doesn't have any (or much issues) with BGs in general. :)

There should be more options to choose in the poll! Although it seems most people have no issue with your choice of artist. :P
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yep more or less everyone is saying the same thing so that's good. Also reassures me about some choices we're doing for some unannounced games :)