Getting errors with Bionic Heart

A dark sci-fi visual novel: http://winterwolves.com/bionicheart.htm
EsmeAmelia
Young scout

Getting errors with Bionic Heart

Post by EsmeAmelia »

Hi, I just bought Bionic Heart with the sale this weekend and I'm having technical difficulties. Every so-often, the game stops and shows a pagelong error message that says some sort of "exception" has occured with the RenPy coding or something and it gives me options to "Ignore" or "open callback" or "rollback" or "quit." Clicking "Ignore" worked during the actual game - it just sent me back to where I was in the story, but when I try to view the gallery I get that error message again, and clicking "ignore" there starts the game over - I can't view the gallery.

I have Windows 7 (64 bit).
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Getting errors with Bionic Heart

Post by jack1974 »

Can you post that error please? there's an option to open traceback.txt that opens it as text file so you can copy-paste it here. Thanks!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah also it might be related to your other problem with Heileen, so the solution is to hit SHIFT+G when the game is running and choose DirectX or Software renderer. Let me know if that works so I can also update Ren'Py programmer on this :)
EsmeAmelia
Young scout

Post by EsmeAmelia »

It won'd let me open traceback - every time I click on the button it doesn't respond at all. The error message includes a long, long string of code.

With GL I can view the gallery, but then there are no character sprites during the game. With DirectX and Software Renderer, there are sprites, but those error messages pop up.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Can you try to use DirectX and install the DX9? The web installer is located in the game installation folder under lib/
I am not aware of anyone else with that problem so I'm not sure exactly why you're getting all those errors :( I guess you have a videocard with low VRAM (probably an Intel videocard). You might try to update the OpenGL drivers too.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I did some research and I think the problem might be a texture size limit of the videocard. Do you know which videocard you have? or in the game installation, it should appear a file called log.txt that has information on the videocard, if you can post it or email it to me that would help me find a solution :) thanks
EsmeAmelia
Young scout

Post by EsmeAmelia »

I can't find that file. I found two files called log.py and log.pyo, though.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No those are code files, it should appear in the same directory as your game, when you run it, so you have:
Bionic Heart.exe
log.txt

the game creates it every time you run it, so you should really have the file! :)
EsmeAmelia
Young scout

Post by EsmeAmelia »

Okay, I'm looking at the same directory where the game is and that file's not there. I don't know what's going on.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah that's quite weird, maybe you're on a restricted windows account? could explain also why you cannot open the traceback.txt!
When one of those messages pop-up, can you do a screen capture? it would be very important to see what it says to be able to determine the problem. Maybe you can just copy the text writing it down in the forum doing ALT+TAB?
I believe is a texture size limit, since the other game worked fine, and indeed I'm working on a new version with smaller images, but if you can provide that info would be very helpful :) thanks