Battle tips & tricks thread

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
faerirose
Young scout

Re: Battle tips & tricks thread

Post by faerirose »

I have 2 saves using the Tactics option and 2 using the Standard skill branch option. I like the Standard a lot better. I can get to the 3rd level of a dual branch set way faster. For example, if I want Dora's 3rd level rain of arrows, I don't have to get level 1 & 2 (I don't know if you planned it that way, Jack). I can get all 3 camoflage and all 3 sneak attack and have rain of arrows III maxed out around level 13 or 14.

That Skill trick is something I might try on my next time around. I seriously hated when I'd use normal attacks against Breza in her training, and the 2 goblin jerks with her would attack 2-3 times EACH!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I had planned that way, since I'm lazy I use to play in Tactics mode. I should have named it "lazy player mode" :lol:
Jokes aside surely Standard gives more customization, while Tactics maybe is for those who will play it in a more "casual" way, not having to assign a skill every 2 levels.
faerirose wrote:That Skill trick is something I might try on my next time around. I seriously hated when I'd use normal attacks against Breza in her training, and the 2 goblin jerks with her would attack 2-3 times EACH!
Well otherwise she wouldn't grant you the achievement of "Formidable" :wink:
FireSeraph
Young scout

Post by FireSeraph »

Alright, final analysis for the Skill-heavy party in Hard. Fost took only three actions, while I whittled him down from 1800+ hp in less than five minutes.
faerirose
Young scout

Post by faerirose »

FireSeraph wrote:Alright, final analysis for the Skill-heavy party in Hard. Fost took only three actions, while I whittled him down from 1800+ hp in less than five minutes.
What level was your party? I was having a way hard time on normal with a party at levels 12-14. Thankfully I did some grinding in my other saves so it should go better in the future.
FireSeraph
Young scout

Post by FireSeraph »

About level 18-19. Being way faster than Fost definitely helped a lot.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

For a moment was shocked, but then I read your level. 18-19 + good equipment should let you beat Fost even without the "Skill trick" 8)
When I tested, I was playing at same levels as faerirose, level 12-14 and indeed is difficult already at Normal level. But I have to say that in my playthrough I completely ignored most armor/weapons, so I think should be balanced at Normal if you do a bit of grinding/better equipping!

When the expansion is out I think will raise Fost difficulty, since people should be able to get at least to level 15-16 with the help of the new expansions quests.
Francis
Young scout

Post by Francis »

jack1974 wrote: Jokes aside surely Standard gives more customization, while Tactics maybe is for those who will play it in a more "casual" way, not having to assign a skill every 2 levels.
I probably should play the game more intensively before I start giving back feedback but it seems to me that the difference between tactics and normal mode isn't what is intended: if you want more customization and skills, you're actually better off with tactics as lurking the forum has made it clear one is unlikely to reach lvl20 playing normally, let alone lvl30 where tactics and normal mode would balance each other out. So assuming that most players will be in the lvl15 region when they finish the vanilla game, lets do the math:

For a lvl15:
Tactics: Start with 5+ 1 skill every 3 lvls (15/3=5)=10 skills
Normal: Start with 1+ 1 skill every 2 levels (15/2=7)=8 skills

Those playing in tactics not only start out with more skills but will consistenly have more then those who picked normal. Unless there are other modifiers i'm not aware off, tactics really does seem like the better choice if you don't mind spending skill points every 3 lvls rather then 2. I'd presume this also makes tactics mode easier since you start out with the skills you need and will always have more skills then those playing in normal.

Hope this isn't too nitpicky, I certainly ain't fussed about it, just trying to spot imbalances and such when I see them xP
FireSeraph
Young scout

Post by FireSeraph »

That is true but you also lose out on 20% of your Stamina/Spell points. I prefer having a bit more of those than to have more skills as most of the skills in the game (imho) are not really worth it except the passive skills and the tier 1 skills. So really it's a matter of what you want more, less skills and more SP or more skills and less SP.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes what FireSeraph said. Originally I didn't plan to have two separate modes, but while testing I found out that more skills=more fun. So I thought to add the "Tactics" mode to please people which prefer other play style. But yes I don't think is really about difficulty, but about a different approach to the game.
About the ending levels, that depends how much you want to grind. I read some people here that were even 19-20 when they fought Fost, but if you don't do any grinding the average value will be 14-15 max. I think is good that you don't reach the max level cap, since that will make the expansion useful for that :)
FireSeraph
Young scout

Post by FireSeraph »

I replayed the entire game, using the Skill trick and no training. Party level was around level 13-15. Fost was demolished in six minutes instead of five. Yup, I'd say it's official. The best way to beat the game to pump up your Speed so that you can get more moves than the enemy.

Edit: Forgot to mention. This is still on Hard mode.