feedback wanted!

Forum for the Loren Amazon Princess spin-off games
jack1974
Pack leader

feedback wanted!

Post by jack1974 »

As I said before, Loren 2 is a totally huge game, since the total is 24 romances. Obviously, I cannot have all that stuff in a single game, for two simple reasons: time and budget.
1) budget, because if I did that, I would need to sell the game for something like... $49 :o since it would be *MUCH* bigger than the first game+expansion together (which were already slightly long !)
2) time, because doing a huge single game would take a lot of time. Forget about 2014, we would be talking about 2015 for sure :oops:

I've thought a lot about it, and I've come up with an idea which is a sort of compromise: instead of base game with 16 + expansion with 8, there would be two games, with 12 romances each. So in practice, two games of same size/length as Loren+expansion, hopefully to be released one in 2014 and another in 2015 (I don't know yet which engine I'm going to use, but just considering the amount of work Aleema has to do, can't be faster than that).

Plot-wise, there isn't a problem, the outline can be adapted easily, since we can have character present in party, but who for various reasons can't be romanced yet in the first game, or simply they wouldn't appear.
The only possibility is to move 2 bisex characters to make things even. I've thought about two possible solutions and I would like to know what you prefer:
A) Amukiki and Chambara wouldn't be present in the first part, but in the second. This would mean that in the first part there would be a good amount of new characters. Both games would have a fair mix of old+new characters.
B) The other would involve moving Jul and Odurat or Samaras in the second part. Jul must be present in the first part but she could just not be romanced, and would make sense (when you'll read it, you'll understand!). The result would be that there would be many new chars in the second part, and many old ones in the first part.

Personally I think option A makes more sense.

But this leaves a big question raised by Aleema: "How do you want to handle the romances over two chapters? the PC will start from scratch with RPG stats for each game?"

I've been thinking about this all the day but, hmm I didn't find a good reason :? I mean, let's say in the first game PC romances Draco. Then in the second part Draco isn't present... why would the PC betray the poor Draco!? :cry: :cry:
Maybe I'm just over-thinking about this, since many other RPG authors (including big AAA companies) just start each new chapter/title "fresh", ignoring previous romances. Which probably is why other devs can sleep peacefully at night :mrgreen:

Anyway, any feedback is welcome on my ramblings!
Pace675
Druid

Re: feedback wanted!

Post by Pace675 »

jack1974 wrote:As I said before, Loren 2 is a totally huge game, since the total is 24 romances. Obviously, I cannot have all that stuff in a single game, for two simple reasons: time and budget.
1) budget, because if I did that, I would need to sell the game for something like... $49 :o since it would be *MUCH* bigger than the first game+expansion together (which were already slightly long !)
2) time, because doing a huge single game would take a lot of time. Forget about 2014, we would be talking about 2015 for sure :oops:
Quite the conundrum you present Jack. Well since you are an indy company that is in a niche, splitting the game into two is a very good ideal, parting with $25 bucks is a lot easier for people to deal with, and knowing Aleema's work it would definitely encourage the purchase of the second half of content. Personally I have no qualms about dropping 50 for a game, but I would be hesitant to do so if I did not know the publisher; I am just saying. (Heh there would be no question of me dropping 50 for this sequel just stating if it was the first WW game I saw).
Plot-wise, there isn't a problem, the outline can be adapted easily, since we can have character present in party, but who for various reasons can't be romanced yet in the first game, or simply they wouldn't appear.
The only possibility is to move 2 bisex characters to make things even. I've thought about two possible solutions and I would like to know what you prefer:
A) Amukiki and Chambara wouldn't be present in the first part, but in the second. This would mean that in the first part there would be a good amount of new characters. Both games would have a fair mix of old+new characters.
B) The other would involve moving Jul and Odurat or Samaras in the second part. Jul must be present in the first part but she could just not be romanced, and would make sense (when you'll read it, you'll understand!). The result would be that there would be many new chars in the second part, and many old ones in the first part.
I agree with you Jack about option A, *sniffles* But, but Chamby!!!(I see the logic in Chamby since she was an expantion romance, But Amukki? Meshipt would make more sense IMO and it would keep to base canon).
But this leaves a big question raised by Aleema: "How do you want to handle the romances over two chapters? the PC will start from scratch with RPG stats for each game?"
This should make Aleema happy; instead of doing a restart, continue the story. If that results in a love triangle, it would add more to the story....She could treat it like the NPC was away and finally caught up with the main character (I would love to see that triangle play out, the MC's love inters from game one coming back from a journey and seeing them playing footsies with someone else).

The way it would script out would be something like this:

First release no Chamby or Mesphit at start, but you allow the play to choose those character as previous romance options.
Let the pc be able to chase after whomever they desire with the new love interests. (As an added bonus characters that were with the main character in the first game can comment on the player's infidelity) That way it gives a nod to the players that played both Loren and its expansion and they lose nothing in gameplay (they get a little extra).
I know this approach is a lot more work for you Jack, but in gameplay sense it adds to re-playability IMO.
Maybe I'm just over-thinking about this, since many other RPG authors (including big AAA companies) just start each new chapter/title "fresh", ignoring previous romances. Which probably is why other devs can sleep peacefully at night :mrgreen:
Well Mass Effect has done it; but for the most part this is uncharted waters, so tread carefully. All I can say if I am playing Elenor from the original I want her past decision to have an impact on the story.(I know you are doing a pre-selection for what you did in last game as to what is what but I will be choosing my previous character paths ;) )

That's my 2cp
Tsukasa Buddha
Young scout

Post by Tsukasa Buddha »

The "fresh" restarting the AAA games did (especially in ME3) really alienated a number of people I know, and myself as well.

I don't know what the right answer is, but as long as it doesn't feel like the writer is taking the story I "wrote" as a player out of my hands and behind the shed I will be happy.
MaxNight
Young scout

Post by MaxNight »

To tell the truth....I wouldnt mind waiting another year ana parting with 49 bucks...if the game presented d everything your games up to date did ie. pure unpoluted awesome and epicness...
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

Who are the characters of the main game and the expansion characters?
Solvus
Young scout

Post by Solvus »

MaxNight wrote:To tell the truth....I wouldnt mind waiting another year ana parting with 49 bucks...if the game presented d everything your games up to date did ie. pure unpoluted awesome and epicness...
Same here, though much rather have it as a whole if it is still an option.

I mean you did say the game is more than twice as big as the Loren, so of course the cost should equal the amount of time and work, plus you can package Loren and this coming sequel for the new players or discount during the holidays those who can't pay upfront or then and now?

Which part of the process is taking up most of the time, writing, art, etc. ?
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

The reason I discussed with Jack about Amukiki's disappearance is because he will be making a cameo in Seasons of the Wolf, so we can perhaps assume he's on another continent altogether. Though I agree it makes sense to shift Mesphit back since he was paired with Chambara in the original expansion.

A better way to look at the options above is: do you want only 2 new characters in Game A? If we move Jul and Odurat back a game, that leaves the first game with only 2 new characters (at the moment, it's Samaras and Selith, but I'm pushing for Breza somewhere in there). Maybe. We're still hammering this out.

Solvus: Probably the writing. :oops: The battle system possibly only needs to be tweaked and re-balanced, the artist is working on another game so it's probably safe to say the majority of the art is done (but I'm sure there's plenty left to do.)
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

Aleema wrote:The reason I discussed with Jack about Amukiki's disappearance is because he will be making a cameo in Seasons of the Wolf, so we can perhaps assume he's on another continent altogether. Though I agree it makes sense to shift Mesphit back since he was paired with Chambara in the original expansion.

A better way to look at the options above is: do you want only 2 new characters in Game A? If we move Jul and Odurat back a game, that leaves the first game with only 2 new characters (at the moment, it's Samaras and Selith, but I'm pushing for Breza somewhere in there). Maybe. We're still hammering this out.

Solvus: Probably the writing. :oops: The battle system possibly only needs to be tweaked and re-balanced, the artist is working on another game so it's probably safe to say the majority of the art is done (but I'm sure there's plenty left to do.)
Why not push Selith to the next game? She seen less important to the plot then Jul
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

Jul being romancable in the 2nd game feels better pacing-wise. Having her go from villain to lover is a difficult transition and shouldn't be rushed. At least, that's my opinion. Feel free to convince me otherwise!
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

jack1974 wrote:

I've been thinking about this all the day but, hmm I didn't find a good reason :? I mean, let's say in the first game PC romances Draco. Then in the second part Draco isn't present... why would the PC betray the poor Draco!? :cry: :cry:
I thought on this and was thinking even if the PC's romance isn't in the game at least they should be mentioned fondly. Like He sat alone and thought of Draco and remembered how he would put on a fire show to cheer Saren up when he was feeling blue. They would sit and watch the animated fire dance above them and cuddle under the flame *mini love scene* some thing like that.

Chambara would be something kinky to be fondly remembered and something unique per character.

As long as I felt the PC still loved and yearned for their romance I wouldn't be put out. The ending they must be reunited of course and big lovely dovely ending.