To all who finished the game...

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: To all who finished the game...

Post by Troyen »

fabulaparva wrote:Have you tried to not tell the twin?

(Besides, I don't think that the consequences really match the action upon "the betrayal" in this case.)
Yes. I restarted and proceeded to take every choice possible to put my "twin" in peril. Not trusting that shady guy again!
Last edited by Troyen on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
canhur
Young scout

Post by canhur »

Franka wrote:In any case, it just sounds like SotW wasn't your kind of game, canhur. Nothing wrong with that, we all make bad (and costly) game purchases from time to time (looking at you, Ni no Kuni! :evil: ).
On the contrary, I enjoyed the game. It's just that I believe the story could've been a lot better if there aren't a lot of holes in it.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I see what you mean, thanks for the feedback, will be useful for the planned DLC (which should focus more on story/characters) and for the others RPGs in development! :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

canhur wrote:
Franka wrote:In any case, it just sounds like SotW wasn't your kind of game, canhur. Nothing wrong with that, we all make bad (and costly) game purchases from time to time (looking at you, Ni no Kuni! :evil: ).
On the contrary, I enjoyed the game. It's just that I believe the story could've been a lot better if there aren't a lot of holes in it.
Ah, I see. Well, I'm not going to excuse the story, except to say that it was advertised as more of a gameplay heavy type of game. I pretty much got what I expected, but of course it's not above critique (and I had some too).
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

I deliberatly did not read any of the other answers, to keep me as unbiased as possible. Even at the risk the points may be duplicate.

Oh, and right now I am in chapter 3, I expect to continue this weekend. Hope the feedback is helpful even though I do not fulfill the condition in the heading...
Taleweaver wrote:What did you think of the plot, by and large? What elements did you like, what elements didn't you like? In five attributes, how would you describe your feelings towards the story?
I'm speaking strictly about the story aspect here. Completely ignoring art, music and gameplay, how would you rate Seasons of the Wolf as a fantasy story?
Actually, sorry to say this, I do not like the game as much as the Story of Loren, of Bionic Heart 2 or like Adrift. I believe there are two issues here: The story itself does not really give me a goal which I am working towards, and there are some elements which kick me out of my immersion. To elaborate:
Goal
Somehow, there is never anything which I (or the party) seems to be working towards. They survive, but they do not act. OK, in the first act it is not so bad, there I get to learn the world, the persons etc., and the first act is relativly short. But in the second act, there is no clear long-term-goal byond surviving the arena. When getting out there, it is outside intervention which the player does not really see coming. Then there is the third act, where anything I do I do for the loot, and maybe I feel grateful to Merrow etc., but anything I have seen (storywise) feels like unconnected fluff which does not propel the plot. It makes me feel (forgive the pun) adrift a bit.
Breaking Immersion
There are a few instances where art and writing do not match. E.g. the picture of a brig (two masts, square sails) which is called a "five mast schooner". Which would look a lot different. Why the text could not have been changed to match the picture I do not understand.
There is the question what goals in life the various nasties (four houses, yerrin, whipboy) have. They come across like they are evil just to be evil. And to proove to each other they are even more evil. Since they are the central antagonist group, their motivation seems to be lacking. Possibly you have more in mind, but this is how it feels to me - and it leaves a hole which yanks me out of going with the flow.
Legendzerox
Young scout

Post by Legendzerox »

I finished the game playing Althea and romanced Chalassa. I would give this game a 7/10. Overall, I liked SOTW and much throught was given into character interaction and story. What killed it for me is the game itself felt rushed with how plot events happen every couple of days and random monster encounters never really happened like it did in Loren which kinda felt like I really had no control over leveling besides getting a burst of xp from completing quests which got you levels. The characters themselves were interesting and well written to the point I knew how certain characters act and react to situations, yet later in the game, the dialogue in certain instances make the character betray their beliefs through poorly written narratives. Granted this is an indie rpg, but I hold indie and mainstream development to the same standard as I want to judge them equally. I loved how the Althea and Chalassa romanced subplot ended which is a huge plus considering I shipped those two and allowing divergent plotlines is always a plus in my book. Well thanks for another good game Winter Wolves, it was enjoyed. Now to get ready for Dragon Age Inquisition.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Lonestar51 wrote: There are a few instances where art and writing do not match. E.g. the picture of a brig (two masts, square sails) which is called a "five mast schooner". Which would look a lot different. Why the text could not have been changed to match the picture I do not understand.
Ah this is my fault, since when doing such a game in a hurry I didn't check that the art matched the text and changed one or another (of course now that the image is done, is easier to change the text!). Even if you consider that in Loren there were "several dungeons" that basically where always the same background image, so I guess that is a step forward at least (that ship image is used ONLY in that scene... my my resources before I wouldn't have even done the image for example).
So what is the correct description of that ship so I can change it in the text (of course won't do an update just for this) ?
Legendzerox wrote:What killed it for me is the game itself felt rushed with how plot events happen every couple of days and random monster encounters never really happened like it did in Loren which kinda felt like I really had no control over leveling besides getting a burst of xp from completing quests which got you levels.
That was done on purpose to avoid endless grinding, and as consequence breaking completely the difficulty as happened in Loren. Though you're not the first person who tells me that (another one by email).

It's good so I know what different groups of people want:
Hardcore players: pretty much liked SOTW under all aspects vs Loren (focused more on gameplay, wanted always high challenge on every fight, lots of variety of skills, etc)
Casual players: pretty much preferred Loren under all aspects :lol: easier battles, unlimited grinding, no "timed events", less skills, etc.

Well the next RPGs should be of the second type - and ONLY if SOTW sells at least as Loren (but should do much better considering the time I spent) I will do again a RPG of the "first type" :)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

So what is the correct description of that ship so I can change it in the text (of course won't do an update just for this) ?
The type of ship (two masts, square sails) is called a brig. However, it puts you into a bit of a bind, because traditionally a brig was one of the smaller ship classes, which contradicts the awe in which everyone holds this "huge" vessel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brig
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah OK damn, I think probably will leave as it is and just hope people understand is only a representation then :oops:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I actually looked "schooner" up when I came across that, and when I saw that schooners could have two masts, I just accepted it. I agree that the picture didn't exactly leave me awestruck at the size of the ship.