Best Damage from Main Character/NPC

A sci-fi RPG game https://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Best Damage from Main Character/NPC

Post by deathknight1728 »

I thought I'd make a character thread basically on my current char-Joshua Nelson, who uses these skills-2 to pistols, 1 to armor, and 1 to lockpick. I find that this char might lack defense from not putting points into evasion but as my character is a soldier, he gets good health anyway. While putting 1 point into your weapon class is useful, extra points really rack up the extra damage as you dont have to worry about hitting as you stay in aimed mode most of the time. Also, high damage boosts make for deadly critical hits when you do get them.

Im gonna try a scout build after this characater class is done. So far its a lot of fun. Has anyone else had any cool builds that were overpowered. I'd like to hear them as Im still a newbie :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Best Damage from Main Character/NPC

Post by jack1974 »

If this can help, here's the items database (I used a spreadsheet for that game):
the legend is on top of the columns, I think should be clear enough :)
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

I just cant seem to get into which skills to use. I wanted to use 2 points into light weapons for my soldier with 1 point into armor and 1 into lockpicking. I found that 2 points into pistols (light) is a waste as you only get a bonus to damage from every 30-50 points.

Is there any bonus to the main character for noncombat skills where you are forced to fight alone later in the game. I want to make joshua nelson a soldier that is powerful by himself. Would there be a point in placing 1 point in light weapons, 1 in armor and then 1 point in lockpick and 1 in repair which would make him like a mechanical/technical rogue type character.
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

in chapter 5 you will receive mission from yours squadmate, in those missions you can only use 2 char (the squadmate who gived the mission and joshua)

im playing now in the hard dificult with a guardian, im thinking in using omicron (80 in armor), a heavy or ernergy weapon with 75 or more accuracy and ROF of 2 or more, the rest of the points i will spend in evasion
so far so good, but i want to see how it performs against the alien bosses
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

ValHallen wrote:in chapter 5 you will receive mission from yours squadmate, in those missions you can only use 2 char (the squadmate who gived the mission and joshua)

im playing now in the hard dificult with a guardian, im thinking in using omicron (80 in armor), a heavy or ernergy weapon with 75 or more accuracy and ROF of 2 or more, the rest of the points i will spend in evasion
so far so good, but i want to see how it performs against the alien bosses
But the question is do any of the non combat skills have any usefulness outside combat. So far there are no ways Ive found of skipping combat and lockpicking skill has almost no use whatsoever. The only skills I could see pumping points into that is a noncombat skill is survival (health regrouping) and medicine (higher health healed with first aid).

Do those missions you get in chapter 5 just pure combat or is there multiple ways of using skills. So far the skill dont seem to have a real point in specializing in as you dont get any extra exp. At least not any that I know.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well the game is mainly combat-focused, so most non-combat skill will be useful on certain situation, but you should definitely spend more points in combat ones. Also it has a big scale, so 2 points doesn't make much of a difference. Later in the game you can use the training center to greatly raise the skills though :)
I'm trying to make the non-combat skills more useful in the sequel (if you read a few thread in Planet Stronghold 2 you can notice it).
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

jack1974 wrote:Well the game is mainly combat-focused, so most non-combat skill will be useful on certain situation, but you should definitely spend more points in combat ones. Also it has a big scale, so 2 points doesn't make much of a difference. Later in the game you can use the training center to greatly raise the skills though :)
I'm trying to make the non-combat skills more useful in the sequel (if you read a few thread in Planet Stronghold 2 you can notice it).
why not make 2 different types of points? one for skill and other for combat, this way you can have a character that is good in combat and out of it
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Check the forums of the sequel, every skill will have an impact in combat, even those that in first game were called "non-combat" skills.
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

finished my hard run with a guardian, i had 85 in heavy weapons (for the Purple Rain, nice Prince refference ), 80 in heavy armor (for the Omicron, until then i used the Kronos or Nucleus, depending of the enemie), and 97 in evasion
very solid build, the only problem i had was in against the first 2 bosses (dredan healer and vasus soulsucker), but after i got a few lvls all the other bosses were very easy
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Im not sure if this is supposed to be this way, but Im noticing that when I use phillip as a scout he is much better off with burst mode as he gets 2 high damage shots instead of the chance of 1 really powerful shot. If he doesn't get a powerful 1 shot ko, its almost pointless to use aim rather than burst. Burst is so much better for characters that have high to hit chance and accuracy. However I will admit, if you are a soldier like my main character, before you get that really good gun with a high accuracy, its useful to use aim mode to make sure you even hit at all.

I just thought it was funny that the characters that have the least survivability are the best damage dealers. As soon as enemies start going after phillip, I switch him into survival/defend and heal him and get back to tanking with my soldier.

And speaking of soldiers. They are tanks like no other. I haven't played a guardian but Im having a blast being nigh untouchable with Joshua or as I call him Josh the sap. I named him the sap because he only uses explosive weapons and explosive skill. Haha :mrgreen:
?