new battle layout feedback

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: new battle layout feedback

Post by Troyen »

yayswords wrote:I don't really know what this game is about but every screenshot of the UI makes me think it's too cute to have skeletons as enemies. Surely they could be disgruntled popsicles instead.
What about chibi skeletons? They'd be cute too.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've started recoding the battle setup screen to display two rows and also the class bonuses I talked in previous posts. I thought also to add an option :mrgreen:
this game will be obviously quite different from SOTW or even Loren, so for non-plot battles you can escape if you want. Of course there'll be a price like losing items/money you robbed, but you'll be safe. Probably not many Nightmare players will use it... unless I disable saves during the missions/robberies, which could be... interesting :twisted: :twisted:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Wait wait, nightmare difficulty? Where do I sign up?

I saw talent trees and was like that's it, pants down. Then I was like, but this game looks so cute so it's probably mostly a VN and nobody will care if I opine on the combat, and the pants went up again. They're still up, but unbuckled.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha no it's a RPG, done very differently from SOTW, more similar to Loren for several aspects (skilltree, grinding, full party heal after each battle, etc). I'm trying a new approach again: I don't want (well, mostly I CAN'T for time/money reasons) to spend as much time as I did with SOTW, but I want to implement a Nightmare difficulty if possible.
It will be mainly done by limiting the SP regen a lot and also no healing except for LIMITED potions, like you can carry only amount X on each mission (where X is a low number like 4-5). And spells/condition will have a much bigger importance.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Then I have two things to say. The first and most important is that the second row of talents all look like birds, or perhaps witch doctor ritual masks.
Spoiler:
The second is when the fuck is the beta out.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha I never noticed the witch doctor effect :)
For the beta I'm afraid but I will need a lot more time. I am still evaluating several gameplay things, like the combos or passive effects during the battle setup, etc. Then I also need to integrate everything with the story. I doubt will be before September :oops:
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

jack1974 wrote: Image
I like the idea of a 'flee from battle option with penalty'. :)
Why? I like big ones, that's why.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

today added some of the new enemy sprites (the skeletons in this case). Also already tweaked some skills and stuff. Changed Kira's Strikethrough skill so that ignores armor value for example (since the "hit back row target" doesn't make sense anymore with this new layout).
The battle core mechanics are starting to shape up, and I like it so far :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

If there's never going to be more than three party members, maybe you could remove the empty slots and use them for UI elements or just make the party shinier?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm using it to allow some strategy by adding startup bonuses, see this post: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3624#p32729
Also this way enemies can be 5, for some outnumbered battles :mrgreen: