crafting (was dungeons exploration)

A fantasy otome RPG about three young thieves with special skills https://www.winterwolves.com/queenofthieves.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

crafting (was dungeons exploration)

Post by jack1974 »

et voilà! Now need "only" to code it in the game :mrgreen: probably will have 1 socket each, except the chest/top part which could have 2. Or I could even put 2 sockets in pants/chest, and 1 in head/feet. It should be enough to make a powerful setup if someone manages to get all the powerful gems :)
I'm thinking if to do the same even for weapons now... I guess first will try with the armors and see how it goes!
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: dungeons exploration

Post by Troyen »

I'm not sure if the resistance gems are all that useful, especially in that form. The primary attributes give bonuses applicable to all situations. To use a resistance gem, you'd have to give that up in the attempt to slightly reduce damage from a single element out of five possibilities, without often knowing if you'll even be attacked by that element. At +1/+2/+3 I think the other gems would be far more useful.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes that's true. I might do like I said before and add another stat, like: Ruby +1 Attack / +1 Fire resistance.
But that would tie some stats to some resistances :(
Or I could have each item have two slots, one for stats and another for resistances, and each gem would give a different bonus depending where you put it. Could increase the other gems to have even higher stats.
Like:

Amber Pebble
on stats socket = +1 attack
on resistance socket = +1 fire resistance

Ruby Pebble
on stats socket = +4 attack
on resistance socket = +4 fire resistance

so Ruby would be a sort of "upgrade" to Amber, and of course more valuable. I think that might be the best solution... will need of course to test and tweak so that players don't become too powerful (but would be enough to raise the cost of gems probably!)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

You could also potentially combine some/all of the resistances into one gem. +1/+2/+3 resist all might be competitive with +Defense (would need yaysword's math to confirm, not actually sure how good the Defense gem is either).
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Given the current flat reduction nature of resistances, you could possibly bring enemy mage nukes down to 1 damage by stacking the right one. I'm not sure that's a problem with the gems as much as with the resistance system itself though.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I can have some "supergem" that will boost several stats. As for the resistances, that's true but unless I equip an enemy with only one element damage type, the AI can decide if an attack would do less damage and use another instead :) of course sometimes it might be "forced" to use it, for example:like, AI targets Thalia with low fire resist, but Kira has protect on her and she also has +5 fire resistance. But this is fine since is part of gameplay strategy I think :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

There's also the question, will we be able to rip the gems out for free? If we can't, then it will not be entirely painless to swap to a prettier set. But if we can, we might just mess around optimizing stats and resistances for every single battle.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes there are no costs associated to adding/removing gems from sockets. That's my initial idea at least :)
Also initially I wanted the option to be available in specific locations, but then I thought to just allow it directly from the inventory. So you can do it anytime, even just before battles. It's not "realistic" but I think is much more fun this way!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

For now I have this:
I think there's enough gem variety! :lol: I'll finish this probably in the next few days :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Gems now correctly stay in the items sockets :)
now I need to assign the bonuses based on the gems, and it's done! I could probably finish this today, took less than expected :)