future card games

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

future card games

Post by jack1974 »

It's just a week after PSCD release so not much time. I compared the sales of PSCD with SOTW, and SOTW sold 3 times more than PSCD (though is also $25 vs $20, so that matters).
It's a good result though, because I did PSCD much faster than SOTW (well 3 months vs 10 months... haha). I think it's worth talking about this in a blog post.
In general the recent trend in indie games is that are going to be really TOUGH times. Players expect cheap games, AND with a lot of content. I see most other narrative based games that are proud when they have 100k words of content, while my recent games all have over 150k words (many over 200k).
I am fine, but I think I need to adjust a bit for the future games :lol:
Regarding card games, I think beside Undead Lily I will try to do a few more for sure since I liked doing PSCD and players seems to like its gameplay :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Re: future card games

Post by DarkWolf »

When you talk about future card games and Undead Lily I was wondering if you plan to reuse the same card battle system/rules just improved or do you plan on making a completely different rules? (Eather way is fine with me as I liked card game in PSCD but also wouldn't mind seeing something new, so I am just curious)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

For Undead Lily surely will be different, the biggest difference is just 1 resource (soul/mana). I also might adopt Hearthstone rule "each turn increase resource by +1" thing. I also plan to do other experiments. In the past I never reused the same system for more than one game, so... :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote:Regarding card games, I think beside Undead Lily I will try to do a few more for sure since I liked doing PSCD and players seems to like its gameplay :)
Well, you've got one guaranteed sale for each card game you make. As long as there are a good number of cards and the artwork is nice. I'm fine with the variant artwork used in PSCD to make different cards.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The number of cards might be a problem, not for UL though (there are 5 elements, and 12 creatures each, plus spells). Since each drawing cost (I like to have nice drawings on each card). Anyways, maybe I can use tricks like recoloring/using variants of cards like did for PSCD.
Katicflis
Young scout

Post by Katicflis »

For what its worth, I think PSCD will do well on steam. I think a lot of people that got sotw were japanime-loving fans that bled over from Loren, whereas PSCD's predecessor wasn't quite as strong and also has a different art-style to it. PSCD isn't going to have that kind of initial 'Oh it looks/plays just like Loren!' carry-over sales -- but that doesnt mean it won't prosper in the long-run or will eventually develop a fan-following.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Could be, though I have no clue honestly. Recently Steam is like a lottery :lol:
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

jack1974 wrote:Could be, though I have no clue honestly. Recently Steam is like a lottery :lol:
Is there a date for it to be released on Steam? And if I buy there, can I have the non-Steam version?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

A fixed date not yet, but yes of course if you buy here you get the normal version from my site plus you can redeem the Steam key later when it's available :)
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

jack1974 wrote:A fixed date not yet, but yes of course if you buy here you get the normal version from my site plus you can redeem the Steam key later when it's available :)
But if I buy on Steam, will I get the normal version?