Heirs & Graces officially out!

I’m pleased to announce that Heirs & Graces is now officially out! You can see the game trailer above. For more info, screenshots and a free demo visit this page: http://www.winterwolves.com/heirsandgraces.htm

This game is my 3rd released game this year so far. I am not being lazy this year, am I? πŸ˜‰

Jokes apart, it’s not like the three games in question (PSCD, C14 Dating and Heirs & Graces) were all created this year! I started working on them long time ago. In more detail:

• Planet Stronghold: Colonial Defense started in Fall 2014. Originally a tower defense game without romance, it turned into a card game/dating sim hybrid!
  • C14 Dating was a project started back in 2013 (the original plot and writing)! then for various reasons was delayed until this year
  • Heirs & Graces was another “side project” started back in 2014, and it’s out now

So as you can see all the three games took a lot of time to make. But there’s no shortcut: if you want something to be good AND long (all three games have a script over 120.000 words, PSCD passes even the 200.000 mark!) you need to wait!

And now, a short postmortem for this game.

Heirs & Graces short postmortem

It’s obviously too early to say how it will do, also considering I have planned to release it on Steam later (to avoid the Summer Sale that as you know happens every year).

However, so far the reaction from people and the feedback/sales I got from my own site gives me hope. I was really unsure since it is my first yaoi-only dating sim, so I had no clue how it could do. I can say that I feel more relaxed now πŸ™‚

That said, as I explained also in my forums, I really don’t think I’m going to do anymore games with a single romance combo in future. No yaoi only, yuri only, otome only, etc. Simply because making a game it’s already a lot of effort, and people need to wait years, I want at least to try offering something for everyone πŸ™‚

This doesn’t change anything for the games already in production of course. So Never Forget Me will be a straight otome, Summer In Trigue a yuri only, etc.

Back to Heirs & Graces, I think the fantasy setting combined with dating sim was a good move. I just realized now that beside Spirited Heart, all my other dating sims aren’t using a fantasy theme. So I believe I should do more dating sims like this.

And I’ve already talked about the “no more grinding” in dating sim, and the scheduler system I used in this game was perfect I think: requiring some strategy to pass the main plot checks, but never grindy even replaying the game several times. I must reuse this system even in future games whenever possible!

Another thing that went well with the game was the “bittersweet theme”. It might be personal tastes of course, but I personally I prefer when there are funny/light scenes mixed with more serious/sad/melancholic ones (those who already played the game know what I am referring to!).

So except for games that are meant to be pure comedy (see Roommates!) I believe adding some more serious/mature/sad scenes to the story could help overall. As long as there is some way to get a happy ending πŸ˜‰

This entry was posted in dating sims, Heirs & Graces, postmortem. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Heirs & Graces officially out!

1. PaperDragon says:

‘I think the fantasy setting combined with dating sim was a good move.’ & ‘So I believe I should do more dating sims like this.’

All I have to say is: yes, please! I do love your work on things like Roommates and Nicole – and C14 Dating hit almost ALL of my ‘wants’ for a game – but I am especially a fan of the fantasy genre and would love to see more dating sims for it. And, in truth, the sci-fi genre, too.

Otherwise, congrats on Heirs & Graces release and I’m glad to hear it’s doing well so far!

Yeah, though in practice I have already 2 games which will have fantasy dating sim: Queen Of Thieves and Amber’s Magic Shop. The first is also a RPG, but I plan to allow skipping battles to play it in “VN Mode” too πŸ™‚

2. Bob The Mob says:

2 things I must know:

The “no more grinding”–that’s only gonna be for dating sims, right?
    Grinding was one of my favorite things in Loren! πŸ˜€

Also, will there ever be any more pure comedy games like Roommates?
    LOVED LOVED LOVED that game because of exactly that!!!! πŸ˜€

Yes for RPG grinding is part of the fun πŸ˜‰
      I want to do more games like Roommates in future, though will probably take a while!

3. Rodrigo says:

An yaoi game made in english, instead of just translated, is really rare.
    I sure hope you can advertise it in the appropriate forums/site/blogs so it as successful as your others games.

The “strategic yet not grinding” system and β€œbittersweet fantasy theme” are really great. Really great choice. If you’re not making more gay only games I just hope there is more than one gay option in the next games. Loren was great for having 3 options.

I really enjoyed other WW games so I’m sure I will enjoy this one too.

Thanks!
      About the number of love interests, depends on the game, but I’ll try to have at least 2 options for each gender/sexual preference in future games πŸ™‚

4. IgamsMan says:

β€˜I think the fantasy setting combined with dating sim was a good move.’ & β€˜So I believe I should do more dating sims like this.’

This is great news! I’m a huge fantasy fan and in particular Aravorn has become my favorite fantasy video game world. I’m not even a yaoi fan but I’m still excited about this because of the setting/gameplay.

β€˜That said, as I explained also in my forums, I really don’t think I’m going to do anymore games with a single romance combo in future.’

As an avid VN lover I’ll purchase a game even if the romances aren’t to my tastes, as long as the story/gameplay is well polished. But with that said I think this is definitely a smart move. Offering a little something for everyone, even if it’s just one hetero option in an otherwise yuri/yaoi game, will go a long way towards showing consideration for your fan base while also increasing the chances of it spreading to the non VN gamers here in the west.

Thanks πŸ™‚ Yes after thinking about it, since the games takes a lot of time to write, I prefer to try giving something to everyone in future!

5. Choklad says:

Everything is better in a fantasy setting! πŸ˜€ And the less grinding the better! Honestly, I think I prefer VNs without any strategy/management at all.

I’d totally like more sad/serious scenes in VNs. Partially because it adds depth to the story and makes the happy moments more happy, and partially because characters comforting each other is my favorite thing. Make it as sad as you want, as long as I get the option to hug everyone! πŸ˜€

Hey, Roommates had some sad moments. Or maybe that was just me feeling sorry for Rakesh on account of his awful parents. Plus, the fact that not all romances end up happily ever after is kind of bittersweet.

6. Malkavianqueen says:

Ooh I will be getting this right away! ^__^

I love the combination of fantasy/romance so I would love if you made more games in those genres!

The allowing for multiple romance combinations in future games is probably a smart move. This allows for a wider audience I think. πŸ™‚ Plus there are people like me who like trying out all the routes regardless of m/f f/f or m/m. It adds more variety and different character interactions.

Be sure to try to advertise on tumblr if you haven’t. There’s a pretty big bl fan community there!

7. hassan says:

Thank you i am so happy that your future games will have gay and straight romances because i am not interested in yaoi or yuri